Services for Students, Patients and Visitors
The library is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Services provided include:
- loaning circulating books and other library materials;
- consumer information services designed to meet the needs of our patients and families who are seeking more information on a particular health topic;
- research for students;
- database training for student groups;
- answering reference questions;
- computerized literature services;
- fax service: small fee for long distance calls;
- Internet: patients and families may check their e-mail (30-minute time limit);
- BookStand: A collection of novels and other materials donated by staff;
- interlibrary loans; and
- consumer health information.
Loaning Books & Videos
The public may borrow up to two circulating books from the library with a deposit of $25.00. This money will be refunded when the material is returned. Videos may be checked out of the library with a deposit of $25.00, unless there is a restriction imposed by the licensing company. Library materials marked "For Reference Only" are only to be used in the library and are not available for checkout.
Materials may be checked out for a period of one month. Journals may not be checked out of the library. A photocopier is available in the library for making photocopies of journal articles. The cost for copies is 10 cents per page.
Books or videos should be returned to a library staff person during regular library hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) in order to retrieve the $25.00 left for deposit.
Students are welcome to use our Online Library Catalog. http://opac.libraryworld.com/cgi-bin/opac.pl?command=signout&libraryname=
Please enter Baptist Health Lexington Library as the library name and click Sign In. A password is not needed. The Online Library Catalog is a collection of books and other materials located at Baptist Health Lexington and Baptist Health Paducah. Students and others must come to the library during regular business hours to check out materials.
Patrons may renew their books or videos by calling the library at (859) 260-6297.
Consumer Information Services
This service is designed to meet the needs of our patients and families who are seeking more information on a particular health topic. The library staff will research your question using a variety of consumer friendly databases. These databases allow us to print out full text articles and pamphlets. We also have access to other information resources to meet the needs of the consumer. There is no charge to the public for simple consumer searches.
This popular service was introduced in response to the large numbers of Baptist Health Lexington staff who use the library for their class work. A charge of $10.00 per search request is assessed to students and others not employed by Central Baptist. A photocopier is available in the library. Copies are 10 cents each. Many journals are located on microfiche. Access to this information is restricted to the library staff. The staff will make copies as time permits at the cost of $2 per article. Other information services such as interlibrary loan may be available. Please ask the librarian for more information on the availability and cost of these services. Please keep in mind that the needs of clinical staff members who are requesting patient care information take precedence over student requests.
Our patients, their families, students and the public are welcome to call the library if they have a reference question. Our staff will either provide you with the correct information or refer you to an information professional who can better answer your question.
Computerized Literature Searches
The library offers two types of computerized literature searches.
- The first is designed to meet the needs of the general public or our patients. The library will conduct a free search of consumer databases. Many of these programs offer full text articles and pamphlets. This service is reserved for patients, families, and the general public. It is not intended for students.
- The second type is research. Students and others may request a search of the health sciences literature. The charge for this service is $10.00 per request. The library reserves the right to charge an additional fee for rush requests or for searches that are multifaceted and time consuming.
The library has a wide variety of professional journals in print, microfiche and electronic formats. Journals are for reference only and must remain in the library. To check on the availability of your journal please go to the following site: http://atoz.ebsco.com/titles.asp?Id=centralbap&sid=205179205&TabID=2
Please remember that our electronic journals are only available for use on the Baptist Health Lexington campus.
The library has a photocopier and laser printer for the use of its patrons. There is a charge of 10 cents per copy for individuals who are not employed by the hospital
Copies of materials on microfiche are $2 per article per page and will be produced as time and staff permit. The library adheres to the U.S. copyright laws.
Interlibrary loan service is available for a fee. We suggest that you request this service from your school or public library. In some cases your library may provide this service to you at no charge.
The library has a large selection of materials available on consumer health for our patients, their families, and the public. Books, videos, and pamphlets are available in our first floor library. Call us at (859)260-6297 for more information on resources available locally.
Baptist Health Lexington also offers several other sources of consumer health information to patients, families and the general public, including:
- CancerHelp™, an easy-to-use, interactive software program designed specifically for cancer patients and their families.
- Health Content from A.D.A.M.®
- Cancer Resource Library: Patients and their families have access to books, brochures and Internet resources in the Cancer Care Center’s Cancer Resource Library in the 1720 Building (Suite 703). Please call (859) 260-6574 for additional information.
For More Information
Baptist Health Lexington's Medical Library is located on the first floor of the hospital in Building D directly across from the main elevators. For more information about services available to patients, families, students and the public, please call (859) 260-6297.