Advanced Cardiac Life Support (HeartCode) Recertification
ACLS Recertification is reassigned through HeartCode.
ACLS HeartCode Process
1. Heart Code ACLS will be required for all ACLS recertification unless an exemption is requested by the department Director. This exemption shall be in the form of a written request to the Director of Educational Development (ACLS Policy D-1B).
2. To schedule an appointment for the course with Carla Townsend, e-mail at email@example.com call her at 260-6297 OR e-mail Teresa Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org call her at 260-6075. Either one will add you to the schedule. If you can’t attend your appointed course time, notify Carla or Teresa immediately.
3. Obtain an ACLS book from Carla in the library and study/review prior to coming to the course. Thorough preparation will ensure completion in a timely manner. You must complete the ACLS pre-test (Pre-course self-assessment) before arriving to take the ACLS course. This information is located on the inside of the ACLS book on page ii. Print out the pre-test and bring it with you on the day you test.
4. Prior to coming to class you will need to log into HealthStream at www.healthstream.com/hlc/centralbaptisthospand register for the class, click on first time student to register and complete the information requested. The more information you enter the easier it will be to track your course for future use. Another benefit, if you enter your e-mail address, HealthStream will notify you when it is time to renew your certification. If you enter your department, I can go in a put you in a group and send the reports on your group to your supervisor/director.
5. On course day, arrive between 8 am and 8:30 am.
6. The Baptist Health Lexington (BHL) educator acting as facilitator for that day will assign a code for you to use to take the course.
7. Once you are signed in to the ACLS HeartCode, course links should now be displayed, you will see three parts:
- Part I (simulated scenarios)
- Part II (skills)
You will need to click on the words in these areas to access the two available course sections.
8. Other recommendations for successful completion are as follows:
- Take breaks between scenarios, stretch and move around
- You are permitted to use any reference materials (books, algorithms, etc.)
- You may use pause and fast forward during the scenario
- During the scenarios you will need to flush the IV’s after administering medicine
- Remember to click stand clear before shocking
- There is a DNR patient, that you should honor that if it is presented
- The AED is useful in mega code patients, as it will prompt you when it is time to reassess.
- Remember to ask your facilitator to clarify any part of this process if you are unclear about instructions.
9. Upon completion of part one you must complete the evaluation before you will be allowed to print a certificate. You will need the code on the certificate in order to start Part two and three (Skills Portion). After completion of Part two and three you will need to do another evaluation and print your certificate. This action informs HealthStream to generate a card for you. Print two copies, give one to your director for proof of completion and leave a copy of the certificates in the black basket on the table. Without the certificates the educator will not be able to track the arrival of your card.
10. It generally takes two weeks for your card to arrive. Teresa Nelson, Certification Coordinator/ ED Educator will notify you and your supervisor when your card arrives.
11. Cards can be picked up in Education Center Office (lower level of building E) you will have to sign for your card in order to receive it.
12. If you have any questions or concerns please contact Teresa Nelson, Certification Coordinator/ ED Educator at email@example.com or call at 260-6075.
The Heart Code lab is available 2 days a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
This class is in Room F at the Education Center.
- ACLS and BLS certifications
If you are NOT a hospital employee, you can still utilize heart code. You can go to the Laerdal web site: http://www.laerdal.com/doc/41662576/HeartCode-ACLS and take the cognitive portion of the class at your leisure. Once you have received your certificate of completion for the cognitive portion of this course you can call ext. 6075 or Carla Townsend (6297) in the library and we can assign you to a skill check off date. The dates will be on the Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of each month at 0630 am. You must complete the skills portion within 30 days of completion of cognitive portion, to receive credit for the full course.