Enhanced External Counterpulsation
Do you experience chronic chest pain, shortness of breath or fatigue?
A new treatment called Enhanced External Counterpulsation (EECP) can help improve your life without surgery or invasive procedures. It involves three sets of cuffs wrapped around the calves, thighs and buttocks. The cuffs are inflated and deflated in harmony with the heartbeat. Patients experience a sensation of a strong "hug" moving upward from calves to thighs to buttocks during inflation followed by a rapid release of pressure on deflation.
The treatments are one hour in length, usually five days per week, for a total of 35 sessions. Some patients undergo two treatment sessions within a single day, resting in between. Patients may stay overnight or for the entire treatment at no cost to them.
Ask your physician to evaluate you. You may be a candidate for EECP if you:
- have angina
- do not have adequate relief from the nitrates
- have been told you are not a candidate for invasive procedures or surgery
- have exhausted invasive treatments without lasting relief of symptoms
- want to explore all treatment options
Patients who have completed their EECP treatments at Central Baptist Hospital reported the following benefits:
- reduction in chest pain
- a decrease in fatigue and shortness of breath
- return to work and/or activities such as, walking, shopping and going out to dinner,
- a decrease in the nitrate medication
Don't live with your discomfort. Do something about it. For further information, contact our EECP therapist at Central Baptist Hospital, (859) 260-6014 or 260-6402.